1.0.10 Alpha install issues

Topics: Installation / Setup
Coordinator
Sep 16, 2006 at 1:16 PM
The alpha release does not have a very elegant install process so you will need to follow through the Readme.txt

If you get stuck, post a reply here and I will try and work through any issues with you

Installation requires SQL Server 2000, MSDE, 2005 or 2005 Express Edition to be installed on one server.
Oct 24, 2006 at 12:05 PM
SQL script installs a database named "PrinterUsageMonitoring" while Service and managment app look for DB name "PrintMonitor". It is not possible to install service and managment app unless DB is renamed.

I did rename the DB, and installation went smooth but I'm getting an error message when starting a service.

Any ideas why ?
Coordinator
Oct 24, 2006 at 1:52 PM
You need to check the startup configuration settings that have been written in the PrinterMonitoringService.exe.config file is correct - especially (given the earlier problem) the database connection string.

Oct 24, 2006 at 2:55 PM
I was actually talking about instalation phase, not the service startup.

What parameters do I need to input at service's installation phase not startup, because it won't proceed with installation unless there exists a DB with name "PrintMonitor" ?

Coordinator
Oct 24, 2006 at 7:42 PM
OK - I have made some changes and replaced the previous alpha release...
Oct 25, 2006 at 9:12 AM
OK, tnx.

BTW: in what stage of development this app is currently in ?

I can't seem make it write Print Jobs into database.
Coordinator
Oct 25, 2006 at 1:36 PM
The app is complete but has a number of errors and enhancements needed - it does (on local installation) write print jobs and printer change events to the database, so if it is not doing so on your install it means that there is a problem to diagnose and fix...

You should check (a) that the service is running and (b) that the .config file has the correct values for the connection string (database and server name)
Oct 26, 2006 at 10:11 AM
Well, the service is up and running, managment app has server icon displayed and shows the printer icon I have manually added an entry into the database.

The server that service and DB are running at is WS2K3. I have shared a printer and am using the UNC path ("\\server\sharedprinter") when mapping it on clients.

When I send a print job to that printer from a client machine, nothing happens on the server, no trace about he job exists in any of the tables.

Tnx for your time...
Coordinator
Nov 13, 2006 at 10:28 PM
Have a look on the printer service settings page: http://www.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?ProjectName=PUMA&title=Printer%20Monitoring%20Serrvice%20Configuration to compare with your configuration.
Nov 14, 2006 at 2:18 PM
Hi
I have installed and found the following.

1. The default installation I think is looking for the following parameter in the confg file and was set to TRUE. I think it is is looking for the printer information from database.
<add key="ReadSettingsFromDB" value="TRUE" />

I have set to FALSE

<add key="ReadSettingsFromDB" value="FALSE" />

and added the shared printer information to

<monitoredPrinters>
<!-- This monitor -->
<monitoredPrinter DeviceName="\\server\sharedorinter"/> <monitoredPrinter DeviceName="Microsoft Office Document Image Writer"/>

</monitoredPrinters>

Now restared the service.

It is working and I am able to capture the print job version. I found a bug in the PrintWriteJob event to store the information. Please opent the event logging to file and see if you are getting any errors etc?

Please let me know.

Thanks
Ram
Jan 8, 2007 at 10:16 AM
Okay downloaded PUMA_Setup.zip, extracted,

Have Setup and three sub directories, one for each component
Have MS SQL 2005 Express installed, install the sql script for the database (Management Studio Express). Done. It creates a Database called PrintMonitor. Stunning, so far no errors.

Now as I am installing the Puma Manager Setup.msi setup file, it gives me an error:

Invalid command line argument. Consult the Windows Installer SDK for detailed command line help.

See the setup log file located at 'C:\DOCUME~1\Server\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD1CDF.tmp\install.log' for more information.

Okay, so the logfile contains the following:

The following properties have been set:
Property: AdminUser = true {boolean}
Property: ProcessorArchitecture = Intel {string}
Property: VersionNT = 5.1.2 {version}
Running checks for package '.NET Framework 2.0', phase BuildList
Running external check with command line "C:\DOCUME~1\Server\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD1CDF.tmp\dotnetfx\dotnetchk.exe"
Process exited with code 1
Setting value '1 {int}' for property 'DotNetInstalled'
Reading value 'Version' of registry key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer'
Read string value '7.0.5730.11'
Setting value '7.0.5730.11 {string}' for property 'IEVersion'
The following properties have been set for package '.NET Framework 2.0':
Property: DotNetInstalled = 1 {int}
Property: IEVersion = 7.0.5730.11 {string}
Running checks for command 'dotnetfx\instmsia.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueExists' on property 'VersionNT': true
Result of checks for command 'dotnetfx\instmsia.exe' is 'Bypass'
Running checks for command 'dotnetfx\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueExists' on property 'Version9x': false
Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.0.3': false
Result of running operator 'VersionGreaterThanOrEqualTo' on property 'VersionMsi' and value '3.0': true
Result of checks for command 'dotnetfx\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe' is 'Bypass'
Running checks for command 'dotnetfx\dotnetfx.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'DotNetInstalled' and value '0': true
Result of checks for command 'dotnetfx\dotnetfx.exe' is 'Bypass'
'.NET Framework 2.0' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
Launching Application.
Using MsiInstallProduct with package path 'C:\Program Files\Merrion Computing Ltd\PUMA Manager\Service Installation\PrinterMonitorServiceSetup.msi' and command line ' /REGSERVER'
MsiInstallProduct returned '1639'
Error: Invalid command line argument. Consult the Windows Installer SDK for detailed command line help.

Please help. Because this looks really promising!

Coordinator
Jan 8, 2007 at 5:09 PM
Hi - this might have a variety of causes e.g. the user does not have sufficient privelege to install a windows service or one of the environment variables (e.g. %SYSTEM% ) is incorrect?

Does the front end application install OK? (it won't do much without th eservice installed but might help pinpoint the problem..)
Jan 9, 2007 at 7:25 AM
I am logged in as administrator (or full permissions)

The Viewer/Client Application tells me it can't find the database server.

But the SQL Service is up and running and the database is also there (PrintMonitor)
The Servername is: MECER1\SQLEXPRESS
Jan 9, 2007 at 7:28 AM
There is no area where I can input the server details...

It also tells me that the service is already there when it wants to install it, but I can't remove it to re-install it... the Database Monitor setup file tries to install the other components?
Coordinator
Jan 9, 2007 at 9:14 AM
The server name and database name used to connect are held in the .config file that is in the same directory as the executable.
Jan 10, 2007 at 6:57 AM
There is no such file in the extracted zip or the installation directory...
Developer
Feb 8, 2007 at 3:12 AM
Joubertdj , if you install all of three subdirectories of the PUMA_setup extracted and try the subItem of directory in start/all programs/Merrion Computing Ltd/PrinterMonitoringViewer.exe, your will see which you need to config and change.
I know that becase i tried all the setup files. but from the first step, i created database, when i was installing the Puma Manager Setup.msi setup file and it also gives me an error similar to Joubertdj's error:
"Invalid command line argument. Consult the Windows Installer SDK for detailed command line help."
Somebody can tell me how to solved that probems?
thanks in advanced.

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:25 AM
Same here..just can't get the Monitor service installed. I've tried 2 servers (w2k3) and one XP SP2 workstation. All machines give me the same error.

Any ideas?

The following properties have been set:
Property: AdminUser = true {boolean}
Property: ProcessorArchitecture = Intel {string}
Property: VersionNT = 5.1.2 {version}
Running checks for package '.NET Framework 2.0', phase BuildList
Running external check with command line "C:\DOCUME~1\erik\LOCALS~1\Temp\VSD3F2.tmp\dotnetfx\dotnetchk.exe"
Process exited with code 1
Setting value '1 {int}' for property 'DotNetInstalled'
Reading value 'Version' of registry key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer'
Read string value '6.0.2900.2180'
Setting value '6.0.2900.2180 {string}' for property 'IEVersion'
The following properties have been set for package '.NET Framework 2.0':
Property: DotNetInstalled = 1 {int}
Property: IEVersion = 6.0.2900.2180 {string}
Running checks for command 'dotnetfx\instmsia.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueExists' on property 'VersionNT': true
Result of checks for command 'dotnetfx\instmsia.exe' is 'Bypass'
Running checks for command 'dotnetfx\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueExists' on property 'Version9x': false
Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.0.3': false
Result of running operator 'VersionGreaterThanOrEqualTo' on property 'VersionMsi' and value '3.0': true
Result of checks for command 'dotnetfx\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe' is 'Bypass'
Running checks for command 'dotnetfx\dotnetfx.exe'
Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'DotNetInstalled' and value '0': true
Result of checks for command 'dotnetfx\dotnetfx.exe' is 'Bypass'
'.NET Framework 2.0' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
Launching Application.
Using MsiInstallProduct with package path 'C:\Program Files\Merrion Computing Ltd\PUMA Manager\Service Installation\PrinterMonitorServiceSetup.msi' and command line ' /REGSERVER'
Error: De opdrachtregel bevat een ongeldig argument. Raadpleeg de SDK (Software Developer Kit) van Windows Installer voor gedetailleerde informatie over opdrachtregels.
Mar 10, 2007 at 11:00 AM
Hello, I still do not see an answer on the PUMA-Manager setup error:

Invalid command line argument. Consult the Windows Installer SDK for detailed command line help.

Who can help me out here? Thanks.

Mar 10, 2007 at 11:10 AM
Also another issue is, when trying to install the PrinterMonitorViewer/PrinterMonitorService the Installer tries to check the databaseconnection (that is what joubertdj means with "The Viewer/Client Application tells me it can't find the database server"). There is no way to interfere with/skip this check (and it doesnot work with SQL-Server Express installed because the connectionstring should have (local)\SQLEXPRESS in it!).
I think this check should be skipped during installation! Configuring of the Viewer/Service can be done later I think.
Please can you help us out here, we would appreciate it a lot!
Coordinator
Mar 10, 2007 at 12:02 PM
I'm going to convert this to a work item because the database installer bit is a bit of a mess....

When the applications are installed the connection string each uses is held in the .config file e.g. PrinterMonitorViewer.exe.config

However the installer attempts to find the database server itself and update the config file which is not working. A pop up with a search-for interface would be better.

Thanks for your patience,
Duncan
Coordinator
Mar 10, 2007 at 12:02 PM
This discussion has been copied to Work Item 8814. You may wish to continue further discussion there.
Mar 10, 2007 at 2:45 PM
Thanks a lot for the quick response on my previous message, but what about the error during PUMA-Manager setup:

"Invalid command line argument. Consult the Windows Installer SDK for detailed command line help."

I think that's an issue with high priority as well? Thanks again for any comment.

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:47 PM
Edited Oct 2, 2007 at 5:48 PM
I see this issue has been open awhile and I am also having the exact same issue as joubertdj and was wondering if the lack of the .config file in the original zip file could be a source of the issue? I have seen mention of the PrinterMonitoringService.exe.config file in the readme.txt files as well as on this forum but cannot locate the file in the downloaded zip. Can someone post a sample copy of the .config file?

Also, is there a way to specify, on the command line perhaps, the name of the server/database?
Coordinator
Oct 9, 2007 at 9:27 PM
The config file supposed to be is created by the install process but unfortunately this seems to have many issues....
Do you have Visual Studio 2005 available? If so I recommend downloading the latest code set and building/installing the components individually...
Nov 28, 2007 at 1:53 PM
I have exactly the same problem with the missing PrinterMonitoringService.exe.config file and this one "Invalid command line argument. Consult the Windows Installer SDK for detailed command line help"
I have SQL express 2005 SP2 installed and the right database also.
Feb 21, 2008 at 11:00 AM
Hi.

I have some problems with run PrinterMonitoringViewer app. I got errors: The trust relationship between the primary domain and the trusted domain failed.
Service, db and application was installed on one machine. Any ideas ?

Sorry for refresh this topic ;)

Regards.
Coordinator
Feb 21, 2008 at 4:56 PM

I have some problems with run PrinterMonitoringViewer app. I got errors: The trust relationship between the primary domain and the trusted domain failed.
Service, db and application was installed on one machine. Any ideas ?

This looks like an SQL permissions error (?)
Can you check that you can log in to the SQL Server "PrinterMonitoring" database and also that the connection string in the PrinterMonitoringViewer.exe.config file is pointing to the right server and database.
Feb 22, 2008 at 8:15 AM
Hi Merrion,

Thanks for answer. Look please on details below:

1. database was instaled based on sql2000 (HOSTNAME) - owner on this db is domain user (DOMAINUSER (full admin rights on HOSTNAME machine)).
2. service was instaled on the same server, based on the same user (DOMAINUSER). PrinterMonitorService.exe.config is look like:
<printerEventListener key="printerEventDBListener"
classType="PrinterMonitorService.PrinterMonitorDatabaseListener"
commandLine="Persist Security Info=False;Integrated Security=SSPI;database=PrintMonitor;server=HOSTNAME;Connect Timeout=30" />
</printerEventListeners>
<printJobEventListener key="printJobEventDBListener"
classType="PrinterMonitorService.PrintJobMonitorDatabaseListener"
commandLine="Persist Security Info=False;Integrated Security=SSPI;database=PrintMonitor;server=HOSTNAME;Connect Timeout=30" />
</printJobEventListeners>
<add key="ConnectionString" value="Persist Security Info=False;Integrated Security=SSPI;database=PrintMonitor;server=HOSTNAME;Connect Timeout=30" />

3. PrinterMonitoringViewer application was instaled on the same machine (HOSTNAME) and i try to run it on DOMAINUSER rights.
PrinterMonitoringViewer.exe.config is look like:
<add key="ConnectionString" value="Persist Security Info=False;Integrated Security=SSPI;database=PrintMonitor;server=HOSTNAME;Connect Timeout=60" />
After run I got exception: The trust relationship between the primary domain and the trusted domain failed.
One interesting thing is that i can see some "movements" in PrintMonitor db (based on sql Profiler) short after app run.

Have you any ideas ?

Thanks for you time !

Regards,
Marcin.
Coordinator
Feb 22, 2008 at 9:27 AM
Edited Feb 22, 2008 at 9:30 AM
There are some references to that error message on MSDN : http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/w2000Msgs/4014.mspx?mfr=true but I don't really understand the cause.

Could you try changing the server part of the connectionstring to (local) to see if that helps?
May 28, 2008 at 12:11 AM
This topic has been posted and ignored far too many times, but here is my last ditch effort for a resolution... can anyone comment on the following installation error:

Error: Invalid command line argument. Consult the Windows Installer SDK for detailed command line help.
May 28, 2008 at 12:23 AM
This topic has been posted and ignored far too many times, but here is my last ditch effort for a resolution... can anyone comment on the following installation error:

Coordinator
May 29, 2008 at 7:16 PM
Did the database install?
If so - you might need to rename it per the 2nd post in this thread.

Which part of the install was being performed: PUMA Manager, Viewer or the printer monitoring service?

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:15 PM
Hello,

I have exactly the same problem with the missing PrinterMonitoringService.exe.config file and this one "Invalid command line argument. Consult the Windows Installer SDK for detailed command line help"

I have SQL express 2005 SP2 installed and the right database also.

I tried to recompile the project from sources, but I do not have Visual Studio 2005 (tried with Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition) and I am not a developer.

I have not had recompilier the project.

Someone could do it and we put them .Exe available?

Thanks a lot