Where should I begin

Topics: Developer Forum
Apr 13, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Hi,

I ran accross this when I am searching for an API to intercept print job from client computers.  This is what I want to accomplish:

1. When end users send a printer job to the printer. I want to pause the print job and present the user with an input screen.
  2. User required to fill out the job number (this is an internal project number).
  3. Once user finish filling out the required informations.  I woul like to start printing out the job.
  4. Record the informations to the database for reporting purposes.

It seem to me that this application already do most of the features I am looking for except for the part that it asking for user input.

My question is should I start my custom application from the download application or should I start my custom application from the DLL

Please let me know your opinion.

Thanks,

Alan

Coordinator
Apr 13, 2010 at 7:46 PM

I would definitely start from the dll as much of the code in this application is not needed per your requirement.  However you might look through the code for this application for information on how to use the dll in a windows service.

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Hi Merrion,

Thank you for your quick response.  I have a few more questions that I would like to ask.

1. Per my requirements do I need to monitor the print job from the print servers?  or just intercept the print job from the client workstaions then send the info to the database?
  2. Would you reccommend me to have a separate pop up to collect the informatin I need or over ride the print dialog with a custom dialog box?

This is what I have in mind:

• A web front end for reportings
  • A windows service that will run on every workstations will collect the print job information (This can either be a separate window that pop up after user hit print from the print dialog or a custom print dialog box)

Please let me know if I am heading in the right direction.

Thanks,

Alan