Adding an overlay to a print job

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Dec 19, 2008 at 6:44 PM
Any thoughts on how I might be able to pause a print job, add some text to the bottom of each page, and then release the job to be printed?

Thanks

Tom
Coordinator
Dec 26, 2008 at 10:01 PM
I don't think this would be possible using this component as the print notifications occur after the page markup has been written to the spool file and I doubt it is possible to modify that file before it then gets sent to the printer.
A more likely avenue to pursue would be writing a custom print component (driver or ?) to modify the print process in-situ.

Dec 29, 2008 at 6:20 AM
Thanks for input.  I had come to the same conclusion.  I realize that this may not be the correct forum for these question, but I have not been able to find a forum for these questions. 

Here is what I have come up with.

Option 1:  Write a print processor and override the default print processor?  This may lead to issues if the printer vendor has written a custom print processor rather than the standard windows one..
 - does anyone know if you can chain multiple print processors together so that I can do my print processing in my print processor and then pass the job over to the original print processor?
 - Does anyone have any experience implementing a print processor that overrides a print processor from a vendor?
 - How often do vendors actually write their own print processors?

Option 2: Write a virtual print driver that accepts the jobs, modifies it, and then submits it to the actual printer
- This seems to the be most complex option development wise, but solves all of the issues related TXT, RAW, EMF and having to override various print components in a generic way.

Option 3 - ????

Thanks

Tom
Coordinator
Jan 4, 2009 at 9:54 PM
No solution, but a recomendation if you are writing a printer driver is to get a copy of Windows Graphics Programming